Traditional Grass Peace Basket
In Rwanda, Traditional Peace Baskets are often used to hold other gifts- like the one given by every bride to her new husband’s mother. These baskets are then proudly displayed in the home or used to contain dry goods such as beans or rice. \n \nOur artisan partner Pascasie told us that the basket’s traditional pattern, called umuraza , represents a path traveled together. \nImagine two friends walking together to visit another dear friend. On their heads, they carry traditional baskets, filled with gifts from their harvest. They journey together down the path, through the hills of Rwanda, pausing to chat, and continuing on to the home of their friend.
The Traditional Journey Design
A gift to a mother is given discreetly, held in a beautiful basket. \nIt is the mother who holds the secrets of the heart. \n \n- Rwandan Tradition
The Handcrafted Details
- An artisan weaves for about a week to complete one basket.
- Crafted from valley grasses and banana leaves, woven over a papyrus frame.
- Masterfully sized, the lid snaps on by aligning it with the base from back to front.
- Approximately 12.5 inches tall (including the lid).
- Care: Dust with a smooth, dry cloth. Or feather duster. Everyone loves a good feather duster!
Who We Are
Kumiho co is an Oregon-based company that is focused on bringing attention to small North American artists and brands. We are passionate about providing modern, eco-friendly, and sustainable home décor.
Our name, Kumiho, was inspired by the Korean legend and folktale of the nine-tailed fox. The nine-tailed fox was known for its longevity and accumulation of energy. This is what we represent, creating a long-lasting relationship between artists and our website audience with the energy to curate products amongst this class of people.
Also, legend holds that the Kumiho is distinguished by its "yeo woo guseul" which consists of in-depth knowledge. This depicts our knowledge base in both the industry and in curating products for home décor.
What We Do
Each brand we bring to our site has a unique story or product. Before we get it out to our website audience, we engage in the proper vetting of all products for quality and assurance.
We have curated collections for your home décor that adds the touch of beauty that you’ve always dreamt of. This is what we do and are known for. We remain the bridge between artist and consumer.
In summary we:
- Find ethically sourced brands and artists with a unique story
- Test their quality
- Bring together a collection of trendy home décor with the quality to back it up
- Constantly search for cool new brands to bring to showcase. Like handcrafted Tunisian ceramics or upcycled textiles made by fair trade artisans in Bangladesh
How We Do It
We use our unique vetting system to verify all home décor products before putting them up. Once this stage is complete, we select only modern, contemporary, and A-grade styles for your home.
All orders are processed within 2 to 3 business days (excluding weekends and holidays) after receiving your order confirmation email. You will receive another notification when your order has shipped. Shipping normally takes 3-5 business days.
Free shipping on all orders within the US. Standard rate for international orders applies.